A few things about Henry ll that you may, or may not know:
- Henry was the second son of King Francis l of France.
- Henry became dauphin of France upon the death of his older brother, Francis, (Dauphin) Duke of Brittany.
- He succeeded to the throne at the age of 28.
- He married Catherine de’ Medici – a member of the very powerful de’ Medici family in Italy. More on Catherine here.
- Catherine and Henry ended up having three sons who held the throne of France: Francis ll, Charles lX & Henry lll.
- Henry had a very well-known mistress by the name of Diane de Poitiers. For more on their love story read the write up by The Tudor Enthusiast.